An earthquake strikes, a fire breaks out, a storm ravages and you panic. You feel helpless. A natural disaster is always a nightmare that we never want to go through! Preparing yourself for one, mentally and otherwise, always helps. Keeping storm, fire and earthquake prevention kits ready gives us the confidence of being able to tide over these disasters better.
Natural disasters kill an average of 90,000 people each year, globally and affect 160 million more. According to FEMA, almost 8% of the U.S. population which is around 25 million Americans were affected by natural disasters in 2017. This huge number bears testimony to the power of natural forces to endanger you and your family. Be ready!
- The first step to being prepared is to plan ahead. Plan for your and your family’s safety by thinking about:
- your daily activities – your items of necessity on a daily basis that you and your family cannot survive without!
- your dependencies – your kids, your parents, your pets and any other person who is dependent on you and need to be guided to safety.
- Put together an emergency kit consisting of the following:
- Food, non-perishable
- First aid kit
- Essential medication
- Trash bags
- Toilet paper
Additionally, your important documents and some dollar bills are a must-include in the kit.
- Do your research and gather information on what you can do to protect yourself and your family during an emergency situation like an earthquake, a severe storm or a fire. Learn how to use a fire extinguisher. Know where to take shelter during an earthquake or a storm. Learn how to administer first aid.
Over and above all, do not panic in the face of a disaster. Keeping a calm head above your shoulder can help you not only save yourself and your family, but also those around you who might need your assistance.
We, at Tashman Home Center, your local neighborhood Ace Hardware store, carry an exhaustive range of quality and name brand hardware products. Servicing the Greater Los Angeles area, we have extensive knowledge in disaster management and have an experienced staff who can help you choose the products best suited to your needs and budget. We ensure that the earthquake, storm, and fire prevention kits available at our store contain functional items. Visit our store today and collect your kit! Be prepared, not scared!