Buying a new grill is not as easy as you may think. There is a lot to consider – how will the grill help you make memories with your friends and family while preventing any mishap with the food or a fire to possibly blowing up your backyard!
Don’t worry! We are here to help you choose the best new barbecue grill for your home.
Tips on How to Choose the Ideal Barbecue Grill
Grill Type – You have a lot of options to choose from – charcoal, gas, portable, smokers and outdoor electric grills.
- Charcoal grills give food that smoky flavor, cost less and are ideal for cooking for small groups of people.
- Gas grills are easy to cook with and ideal for people looking for more space on the grill grates
- If you do not have an outdoor space large enough to accommodate a grill or you live in a condo where gas or charcoal grills are not allowed, we have a solution for you! Get an outdoor electric grill. They are compact and can fit on your balcony.
- If you are a barbecue lover and can wait a little longer for that smoky flavored food, a smoker is a great buy.
- Love grilling on the road more than in your backyard? Get a portable grill today!
Grill Features – Once you have decided on the type of the new barbecue grill you want, it’s time to consider the features that best suit your requirements.
- Cart – Look for a new barbecue grill with a fully enclosed cart as this will mean you have
- Finish – The finish on the grill is also important. Most barbecue grills today come in either a porcelain enamel finish or a stainless steel finish. With the former, you will find it easy to maintain as you will not see the watermarks, but with the stainless steel, the fingerprints will always show.
- protects the burners from direct droppings of fat, debris, etc.
- prevents flare-ups
- helps to more evenly distribute the heat
- enhances the flavor of the food
- Size – The size of the grill will be determined by the number of people you are cooking for, primarily.
- Cooking grates – Cooking grates are made of different materials. The basic grate is a porcelain enamel coated steel wire hardly good enough to give you a good sear. The second option, porcelain enamel cast iron cooking grill, retains heat and lasts almost a year without rusting and gives a great sear. However, the best option would be a stainless steel rod cooking grate that never rusts and transfers heat into the food that you are cooking.
- Burners – Burners provide heat to your cooking surface. The first question is how many burners do you need? While it does depend on how much food you cook and for how many people, always remember that the more the burners, the more versatility in cooking you are allowed. This means that if you have a nice, wide grill you will have more space, even if you are cooking for fewer people. The next question is what material? Like grates, burners are also made of multiple different materials. The lower end models come with stamp steel burners which are designed to last a year. Stainless steel is what you should be looking for as it lasts longer and ensures even heat distribution throughout your cooking surface. Also, they are the most resistant to corrosion and rust.
- Flame Tamers – The flame distribution system within a gas grill which sits between the burner’s flame and the grid is known as a flame tamer. There are two types of flame tamers – metal (perforated sheets or a tent) and those that use ceramics (rod or briquette which holds heat more and better). The perforated ones cover more of the area, thereby protecting your burner a little better, are better with more even heat distribution and better with protecting from flare-ups. A flame tamer,
- less chance of the flame getting blown when you have heavy winds
- a great storage area
- and the grease cup below is not exposed to the elements or the critters which can dirty your deck or patio.
- Side burners – When buying a barbecue grill, a side burner is always recommended, preferably at least 10,000 BTU.
- Liquid Propane Tanks – If you are buying a new gas barbecue grill, always buy a new LP tank. LP tanks are only good for 5 years.
Tashman Home Center, your local Ace Hardware store sells an extensive range of high-quality products, has a great collection of new barbecue grills belonging to premier brands like Craftsman, Weber, Stihl, Yeti, Big Green Egg, Toro, and Traeger. You can shop and order online and either have your purchases delivered or pick them up at the store at no additional charge. Contact us today!