Passover is a time that Jewish people dedicate energy and activities into cleaning our homes from top to bottom and especially removing all traces of leaven from the home. Preparing for the Passover usually starts a full month before the holiday.
Preparing for Passover
- It starts with removal of Chametz or any leaven products which means a cleansing from top to bottom for all crumbs and potential traces of leaven. This may include cleaning under furniture, cushions, beds and more.
- Purifying the kitchen or koshering the stove, refrigerator, counters and so on.
- Making sure the home and in particular, the dinnerware, food prep area and the food are all kosher.
At Tashman’s we have all the supplies you will need for Passover preparation. Come in for cleaning supplies, bleach, we can even custom make your Passover blech – if you order in time! Be sure to come in early to be certain that these items are available when you are!
Even if you are not Jewish, you can participate in the spring cleaning activities. In fact, one of the beautiful things about our part of California is the near idyllic temperatures all year round. Yet, we still have some semblance of seasons here and as the winter months roll into spring, it’s time to consider new projects and a return of annual home maintenance tasks. If you’re not sure where to begin, consider the following spring planning tips brought to you by your local home improvement center:
3 Spring Planning Tips From Tashman Home Center
- Degunk the gutters. Los Angles County is expected to get a healthy dose of rains towards the end of February and throughout March. This makes now the ideal time to get up on the roof and clear your gutters out of any sticks, leaves, ash, and other gunk that might be stuck in there. If you do encounter ash from the recent bout of wildfires, take care to carefully brush it in the bag and avoid touching or inhaling it.
- Plan your garden. California’s historic drought was officially declared over last year and it has a lot of residents excited for all-new planting opportunities this spring. If you’re likewise excited to see something other than brown, then now is the time to start planning your backyard garden, including tilling the ground and appropriately adjusting your soil composition. Note though that despite renewed rainfall, it is still a smart idea to think longterm and be proactive by landscaping with low-water plant specimens. Check out this fantastic California-specific book for some great landscaping ideas, specimen recommendations and other spring planning tips for your backyard garden.
- Clean or replace your HVAC air filters. This is another one of our spring planning tips that is especially important for California residents as the wildfires around our city and county have brought in a fair amount of smoke. And even if it doesn’t seem like it, your HVAC equipment is undoubtedly doing double duty to keep your home air clean. We recommend cleaning air filters once a month during these conditions and replacing as necessary. You may also want to consider purchasing a HEPA air purifier to further clear out your air, particularly useful if you rarely turn on your larger HVAC equipment. Consider also installing a glass door to keep smoke out.
Get Started With These Spring Planning Tips Today
Need help following out these spring planning tips? At Tashman Home Center, we’re here to help you! Give us a call at (323) 498-2417 for assistance.